Capucine was a French a high fashion model and a successful actress.
Her beauty and effortless elegance was unforgettable.
I know her from the first ever movie of ‘The Pink Panther’ – she played a wife of inspector Jacques Clouseau. My favourite scene from ‘The Pink Panther’ movie is where she is chased by police, runs into the lift and completely changes her appearance and once out of the lift, police did not recognise her.
This woman knew ‘fashion’.
I thought she was so entertaining and strikingly beautiful. She gave an image of hard working independent woman with healthy ambition.
Despite all her success, her life has ended in a tragedy.
Here are few facts about this truly fascinating woman:
• Real name – Germaine Hélène Irène Lefebvre, (6 January 1928 – 17 March 1990)
• Before become movie star, she worked as a model working for fashion houses like Givenchy and Christian Dior.
• She was the only actress to act in more than one of ‘The Pink Panther’ franchise movies. She starred in 3 ‘Pink Panther’ movies: The Pink Panther’ – 1963; ‘Trail of the Pink Panther’ – 1982; and ‘Curse of the Pink Panther’ – 1983.
• She played a wife of inspector Jacques Clouseau.
• She was a close friend with Audrey Hepburn.
• The only she married was to actor Pierre Trabaud. Their marriage lasted 8 months only. She has never remarried again.
• She lived in Switcherland for 28 years until her death in 1990.
• On 17 March 1990, at the age of 62, Capucine jumped to her death from her eighth-floor apartment. It was reported that she has suffered from illness and depression for some time.
• She appeared in 36 films and 17 television productions.
With Love, Gitana